Menstrual flow consists of vaginal mucus, particles of the endometrium, a small amount of secretions secreted by the glands and, of course, blood. It is she who gives red color and characteristic iron smell. Some feel the faint aroma of raw meat, and this is also within the normal range. For some reason, the discharge starts to smell bad:
- Stagnant blood. During menstruation, the blood from the uterus comes out not once, but for several days. This period is quite enough for blood clots to smell like old meat.
- Irregular hygiene. To the unpleasant smell did not bother, you need to regularly change the pads and tampons, as well as daily wash. If for some reason it is not possible to do it in time, a bad smell will appear due to the interaction of blood and air. In addition, vaginal secretions and heat are an ideal breeding ground for bacteria.
Improper hygiene products.Soap alkaline environment or various chemical additives can disrupt the balance of the vaginal microflora, as a result - an unpleasant smell.
- The use of tampons. Any woman who has ever used these hygiene products knows that not all blood is absorbed and for some time stagnates inside.
- Venereal diseases. Often accompanied by not only an unpleasant odor, but also other symptoms - discharge before or after menstruation with an unpleasant odor, pain, itching, etc.
- Inflammatory processes. A number of inflammatory diseases, such as endometritis, make themselves felt, including a bad smell.
- Oncology. The disease may not have other signs until the last stage. Why doctors and insist on visiting the gynecologist every six months to identify the disease at the beginning of its development.
How to determine the disease yourself
Bad smelling blood during menstruation often indicates the presence of disease. For some features, you can try to independently determine the presence of the disease:
Smell of rotten fishcan talk about bacterial infections or dysbacteriosis. Pathogenic bacteria become the cause of an unpleasant darling, which becomes too much and the natural microflora of the vagina is unable to cope with them. In this case, fish smell can appear on any day of the cycle, it increases with the arrival of menstruation.
- Sour smell often caused by the fungus Candida, which is the main culprit in thrush. In addition to the characteristic sweetheart, there is a discharge of white with a curd consistency, burning, itching.
- Obvious stench of rotten meat one of the signs of uterine cancer. Its cause is rotting tissue. Most often, this symptom is observed in women after menopause and is accompanied by bleeding.
When do I need the help of a doctor?
The appearance of an unpleasant smell is in itself an alarming symptom. An urgent visit to the doctor is necessary if one or several of the following symptoms are observed:
- pulling pain in the abdomen,
- frequent urination,
- thick unpleasant smelling beli white, yellowish or green,
- cheesy discharge at any time during the cycle,
- blood or brown discharge with a smell before menstruation or after,
- too long menstruation,
- big blood loss
- itching and redness of the skin in the groin,
- rash in the groin area,
- cutting pain when urinating,
- general weakness, dizziness.
Symptoms alone do not always allow for the exact determination of a specific disease. In addition to the examination, the doctor will need to undergo the necessary examinations, after which suitable treatment will be prescribed.
On the problems of the age: can menstruation go for menopause, and is it possible to get pregnant?
What is the leptotriks bacterium, how it is dangerous and how to treat we will tell further.
Ways to get rid of unpleasant smell
If an unpleasant smell is not caused by a disease, in order to get rid of it or make it not so intense, you can:
- Change the usual means of hygiene. During menstruation, it is better to use pads and tampons without synthetic materials, the same applies to daily pads.
- Pads and tampons should not be perfumes and dyes., including bleach. Aggressive chemical environment is not the best way to maintain normal bacterial balance.
It is necessary to change the pads during menstruation every 4 hours., and more often. Tampons should not be inside longer than 2 hours.
- Instead of soap and other detergents better wash with warm water with herbs, or deliberately select environmental tools for intimate hygiene. In addition, the vagina itself is cleaned from the inside, so you need to wash only the external genitals. Unfortunately, not everyone knows about it and because of the ingestion of detergents, the natural microflora may be disturbed.
- During menstruation, especially if they are abundant, it will not be superfluous carry spare linen in case the pads or tampons fail and leak.
- Regular shower. This is especially true in the hot season, when sweat is also added to the secretions. All this is a breeding ground for bacteria, which cause an unpleasant smell during menstruation and after them.
If no hygienic tricks do not help and the damn thing still remains, then the cause is a disease. In this case, first of all it is necessary to cure the disease itself. This will require:
- Come for a visit.
- Pass the necessary tests.
- Take the prescribed drugs strictly according to the instructions of the doctor.
- Follow the recommendations of a disease prevention specialist.
Drugs are prescribed for the treatment of the disease depending on the nature of the disease - antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, analgesics, etc. In extreme cases, surgery may be required.
About bad smell during menstruation on video:
- Gardnerellosis - caused by various microbes that affect the vaginal microflora. Other factors also affect its microflora:
- antibiotic treatment (long).
- hormonal disruptions.
- in violation of the menstrual function.
- intrauterine device.
- reduced immunity.
- contraceptive use.
- violation of intestinal microflora.
Prevention - the exclusion of all the above facts.
- Colpit - provoke: E. coli, staphylococcus, tikhomonad, gonokokk, chlamydia. Colpitis is a disease of the external genital organs, accompanied by their inflammation. As a result of the inflammatory reaction, changes occur that lead to the formation of an unpleasant odor during menstruation.
- Genetic problems, associated with metabolic processes, can also provoke the formation of an unpleasant smell of menstruation (the smell may be similar to the smell of fish).
- Smell may appear due to accumulation in the vaginal microflora products exchangebut. This may be due to the disappearance of lactobacilli.
How to cure bad smell during menstruation?
First of all, you need to know the cause of the smell, and this can only be done by a qualified doctor. After due examination, the gynecologist will prescribe treatment. Never delay a visit to the doctor, it is better to engage in prevention than the treatment of the disease.
What if the monthly dark color?
The nature of the discharge during menstruation is different for each woman - they can be of different consistency, color, duration, smell, profusion. Monthly red colors are considered normal, lasting for 3–7 days, two days abundant, with no unpleasant odor, with few clots. Of course, every woman has her own norm, but the main thing is that monthly periods should always occur within the normal range.
The color of the menstruation should be red, not dark red, scarlet, or bright. The menstrual cycle should not be disturbed; a normal disturbance is allowed in the first year of the onset of menstruation. If you suddenly notice a change in the color of menstrual blood, this may indicate problems with the reproductive system.
Normal is the dark color of menstruation only after childbirth. In other cases, it speaks of a gynecological disease.
If you pay attention to the fact that you have dark-colored menstrual blood, be sure to consult a doctor. The gynecologist will conduct an examination, prescribe the necessary tests, then identify the cause of the problem.
Causes of monthly darkening
The causes of the appearance of dark menstrual blood include inflammation of the uterus or vagina. It can also be caused by hormonal disruptions in a woman’s body. If the infection enters the reproductive system, in addition to the dark color of the menstrual blood, a putrid, unpleasant smell may appear. After surgery on the genitals, red blood may also appear.
When inflammation of the fallopian tubes and ovaries may also appear a dark color with clots. In addition to all the above reasons, the problem with menstruation can cause stress, strong emotional experiences.
The cause may also be a failure of the luteinated cycle phase. If the corpus luteum is not fully formed, most likely due to hormone deficiencies, a few days before the menstruation, dark-colored bleeding may begin. This can occur once, and can be repeated every cycle. In endometrial cancer, there may also appear such discharge, which will be repeated every menstruation.
The causes of the dark color of menstruation are many. Do not sit at home and think that everything will pass by itself. Will not work! If you notice that you have very dark menstrual blood, be sure to consult a doctor. It is better to prevent terrible diseases than to treat them later.